Personal Data Protection Notice
Enterprise Ireland ("we", "us" or "our") is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This Data Protection Notice tells you about your privacy rights and sets out how we, as a Controller, collect, use, process and disclose your personal data relating to your interactions with us.
- Information we may collect from you
Personal data means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). We may collect and process any type of personal data you provide to us in the course of your interactions with us. You may have provided some of your personal data directly to us such as when you visited our website by volunteering personal data when subscribing to email alerts or by using our online feedback or other forms. We may also receive personal data about you from various third parties and public sources such as LinkedIn. Categories of such personal data include names, addresses, contact information and other information that is relevant to the provision of our services.
If you do not provide us with your personal data we may not be able to provide you with our services or respond to any questions or requests you submit to us via our website. We will tell you when we ask for personal data which is a contractual requirement or is needed to perform our functions or to comply with our legal obligations.
- How we use personal data we collect
We will only use your personal data for the purposes and legal bases set out below.
Purpose(s) for Processing
- To register you as a new website user;
- To notify you about changes to our Data Protection Notice;
- To ask you to take a survey.
Legal Basis for Processing
- The processing is necessary to perform a contract or enter into a contract with you
- The processing is necessary to support our legitimate interests in managing our business (to keep our records updated and to study how website users use our services) provided such interests are not overridden by your interests and rights
To manage our relationship with you which may include:
- To contact you in relation to on-line /offline applications for grants/equity investments;
- To participate on our Student Enterprise Programmes;
- To facilitate providing training programs and online training resources;
- To facilitate trade missions, trade events, buyer introductions through our Irish and overseas office network;
- To participate in EU Funded programs / international standard bodies e.g. ESA, NSAI, European Commission participation on programs with Inter trade Ireland;
- To work with our technology gateway and technology centres through the third level network;
- To participate on our Education Ireland student program;
- To share information with government departments and semi state agencies for jointly run events, e.g. Local Enterprise Offices, IDA etc.;
- To act as advisor on expert panels or mentoring to clients.
- The processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of an official authority vested in us
- To comply with our regulatory (for example disclosing tax data to the office of the revenue commissioners) and professional requirements;
- To prevent and detect fraud, money laundering or other offences; and
- To exercise our right to defend, respond or conduct legal proceedings.
- The processing is necessary for us to comply with legal and regulatory obligations
- To carry out direct marketing;
- To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events hosted or co-sponsored by us or about events we feel may interest you;
- To send you email alerts and newsletters that you have opted-in to receive by filling in our online forms or contacting us by email or by other means;
- To contact clients regarding business opportunities.
- To contact you regarding the services provided by us.
- Where you have given consent to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing – which you may withdraw at any time
- Where your consent is not required and you have not objected, the use of the data is necessary for our legitimate interest in managing our business including legal, personnel, administrative and management purposes provided our interests are not overridden by your interests.
- To customise your experience on our website, or to serve you specific content that is relevant to you
- To process job applications
- The processing is necessary to support our legitimate interests in managing our business (to define types of client companies for our services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy) provided such interests are not overridden by your interests and rights
- The processing is necessary to perform a contract or enter into a contract with you
- Retention of your personal data
We will store your personal data only for as long as necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was obtained. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include (i) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship and/or provide our services; (ii) whether there is a legal requirement to which we are subject; and (iii) whether the retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations). Please contact us if you wish to obtain further information concerning our retention periods.
- Disclosure of your personal data
We may disclose your personal data to third parties who provide a service to us or in the event of changes to the Industrial Development legislative framework (that is, the Industrial Development Act 1986 and the Industrial Development (Enterprise Ireland) Act 1988 (as amended)) which may impact upon Enterprise Ireland, or in the event of any future mergers/ dissolutions of Enterprise Ireland and/or other related State agencies, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the applicable successor entity of Enterprise Ireland or, if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or where necessary for our legitimate business interests to protect the rights, property, or safety of Enterprise Ireland, our client companies, or others or for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Such disclosure may, as appropriate, include exchanging information with other organisations, companies, auditors, Government Departments, Institutes of Technologies, recruiters, Semi State Agencies, universities and public bodies, where any such body provides a service to Enterprise Ireland and we are satisfied that it complies with the GDPR requirements.
The personal data that we collect may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"), for the purposes described above. Those countries may not provide an adequate level of protection in relation to processing personal data. Due to the global nature of our business, certain personal data may be disclosed to staff members of Enterprise Ireland working outside the EEA: To view a list of Enterprise Ireland overseas office, visit the Contact Page. To the limited extent that it is necessary to transfer your personal data outside of the EEA, we will ensure appropriate safeguards are in place to protect the privacy and integrity of such personal data, including standard contractual clauses under Article 46.2 or adequacy decision under Article 45. Please contact us if you wish to obtain information concerning such safeguards.
- Links to other sites
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of those websites, please note that those websites have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for those policies. Please check those policies before you submit any personal data to those websites.
- Your rights
You have several rights in relation to your personal data under applicable privacy and data protection law, which may be subject to certain limitations and restrictions. We will respond to any valid requests within one month, unless it is particularly complicated or you have made repeated requests in which case we will respond, at the latest, within three months. We will inform you of any such extension within one month of receipt of your request, together with the reasons for the delay. You will not be charged a fee to exercise any of your rights unless your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive, in which case we will charge a reasonable fee in the circumstances or refuse to act on the request.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us. We may request proof of identification to verify your request.
- Security and where we store your personal data
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal data. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal data from unauthorised access and use. As effective as modern security practices are, no physical or electronic security system is entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the complete security of our database, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet. We have implemented strict internal guidelines to ensure that your privacy is safeguarded at every level of our organisation. We will continue to revise policies and implement additional security features as new technologies become available. Where we have given you a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping that password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to our website. Any transmission of personal data is at your own risk. Once we receive your personal data, we use appropriate security measures to seek to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure.
- Changes to this Data Protection Notice
We reserve the right to change this Data Protection Notice from time to time at our sole discretion. If we make any changes, we will post those changes here and update the “Last Updated” date at the bottom of this Data Protection Notice. However, if we make material changes to this Data Protection Notice we will notify you by means of a prominent notice on the website prior to the change becoming effective. Please review the Data Protection Notice whenever you access or use this website.